Tuesday, January 26, 2010

A Little Girl Can Dream Forever



............when on the back of her horse.


(Picture altered and phrase added by
my friend, Lisa)


Every morning when Annie wakes up I ask her
"What did you dream about last night?"

I slowly started asking her this question over a period
of time because I noticed every time we discussed
something of importance when we were rocking, it
was the first thing out of her mouth every morning.
I could tell she'd gone to sleep thinking about our
conversations at bedtime.

Her answers to my dream inquiries
were usually about things we had,
in fact, discussed at bedtime.
And these things would be
strange topics for dreams. It found
myself looking forward to what her
different answers would be.

When she discovered a kitchen timer, the
morning after, when I asked her what she
had dreamed about, she said "the clock"
and "the beeps".

When I was trying to get her to be serious
about potty training, I'd read the story
(OVER AND OVER!)
about the little engine & about it
saying, "I think I can,
I think I can" & I'd tell her
"You can do it: tomorrow is a different day,
we'll practice!"

And she'd wake up and answer me
with "I dreamed about using the potty
and wearing panties, not diapers."
but then she'd spend the whole day
refusing to use the potty!
Hey, as articulate as she is, she has the
smarts to do it, like a year ago!
Mom said it is the last thing she
can control. I let her pick her shoes
everyday, why can't she shuck the diapers?!



No comments: